This syllabus will help aspiring journalists build a strong foundation in ethical decision-making, with a focus on the challenges created by digital technology and social media.
Suggested chapters from many of the following books are listed with the relevant class.
- Kelly McBride, Tom Rosenstiel, The New Ethics of Journalism, 2014.
- Thomas E. Patterson, Informing the News: The Need for Knowledge-based Journalism, 2013.
- Sue Ellen Christian, Overcoming Bias: A Journalist’s Guide to Culture and Context, 2011.
- Alex S. Jones, Losing the News: The Future of the News That Feeds Democracy,
- Patrick Lee Plaisance, Media Ethics: Key Principles for Responsible Practice, 2009.
- Dale Jacquette, Journalistic Ethics: Moral Responsibility in the Media, 2007.
- David Craig, The Ethics of the Story: Using Narrative Techniques Responsibly in Journalism, 2006.
- Seth Mnookin, Hard News: The Scandals at The New York Times and their Meaning for American Media, 2004.
- Janet Malcolm, The Journalist and the Murderer, 1990.
- Society of Professional Journalists & SPJ Ethics Committee
- Digital Media Law Project Legal Guide, Harvard University
- The Poynter Institute
- Columbia Journalism Review
- Digital Journalist’s Legal Guide, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Nieman Reports, Harvard University
- Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University
- Center for Journalism Ethics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Knight Case Studies Initiative, Columbia University
- Ethics Cases Online, Indiana University School of Journalism
- NPR Ombudsman & New York Times Public Editor
- “Spotlight,” 2015 (Open Road Films)
- “Citizenfour,” 2014 (Praxis Films et al.)
- “Kill the Messenger,” 2014 (Bluegrass Films et al.)
- “Frost/Nixon,” 2008 (Universal Pictures et al.)
- “Page One,” 2011 (Participant Media et al.)
- “Good Night and Good Luck,” 2005 (Warner Bros. et al)
- “Shattered Glass,” 2003 (Lions Gate et al.)
- “Broadcast News,” 1987 (Amercent Films et al.)
- “The Killing Fields,” 1984 (Goldcrest Films et al)
- “Absence of Malice,” 1981 (Columbia Pictures)
- “All the President’s Men,” 1976 (Warner Bros. et al)
- “Ace in the Hole,” 1951 (Paramount Pictures et al.)