After assessing the growing threats to U.S. national security, the NDP report issues a stark warning: “the defense budget cuts mandated by the Budget Control Act (BCA) of 2011, coupled with the additional cuts and constraints on defense management under the law’s sequestration provision, constitute a serious strategic misstep on the part of the United States.” The report recommends, among other things, that the United States reverse sequestration-level spending cuts to national defense and increase defense spending to match the long-term plan laid out by then-Secretary of Defense Robert Gates in 2012.
FPI suggests the following resources as policymakers, lawmakers, and the general public weigh and consider the National Defense Panel’s report.
For media inquiries, contact FPI Director of External Affairs Rachel Hoff at email@example.com or .
- Ensuring a Strong U.S. Defense for the Future – The National Defense Panel Review of the 2014 Quadrennial Defense Review – July 31, 2014
- Be Alarmed . . . Be Very Alarmed – FPI Board Member William Kristol – The Weekly Standard – August 1, 2014
- Suggested Questions for Hill Hearing on the 2014 QDR – FPI Executive Director Christopher J. Griffin and Senior Policy Analyst Evan Moore – Foreign Policy Initiative – April 2, 2014
- FPI Bulletin: Risks and Reality in the Defense Budget – FPI Executive Director Christopher J. Griffin and Policy Director Robert Zarate – Foreign Policy Initiative – February 26, 2014
- A Stunning Rebuke of Our Current Defense Policies – Former Senator James Talent – National Review Online – August 1, 2014
- A Wake Up Call to Washington on Defense – Mackenzie Eaglen – RealClearDefense – August 1, 2014
- National Defense Panel Provides Congress an Honest Path Forward – Diem Nguyen Salmon – The Heritage Foundation – August 1, 2014